Drug Overdose Community Interventions
Promote the integration of state and local drug overdose prevention resources, interventions, and capacity building by working with communities to increase access to local data, timely analytical results, and overdose prevention resources, with a focus on controlled substance prescribing, drug-related injury and fatality trends, community-based program development and capacity building; linking ongoing naloxone distribution efforts throughout the state; working with pharmacists on safe opioid prescribing and harm reduction practices; sponsoring Jail Education Programs, the Kentucky Poison Control Center Opioid Call Center for referral to substance use disorder information and treatment, and innovative intervention projects by local health departments; funding Kentucky’s annual Harm Reduction Summit; and facilitating the Kentucky Drug Overdose Prevention Workgroup.
- Drug Overdose Prevention Tackle Box
- The Drug Overdose Prevention Tackle Box contains two sections. The first outlines how to design an overdose prevention strategy best-suited for a particularly community. The second section includes descriptions of evidence-based and evidence-informed drug overdose prevention programs. The information in this tackle box is designed to help Kentucky’s communities encourage individuals to avoid inappropriate or illicit substance use if they are not already using substances and to seek treatment if they are already a substance user.
- The Local Lens
- The podcast from the Powell County CARES project goes into Powell County’s experience with the drug epidemic through interviews. The show gathers the perspectives from all kinds of different people who see the opioid crisis differently, so all can have a more holistic view of what is happening everywhere in the community.
- Fentanyl Test Strip Training
- This resource provides: steps on how to use fentanyl test strips (FTS); harm reduction strategies that can be utilized to reduce the risk of a drug overdose and; steps on how to administer Narcan in the event of a drug overdose.